Recently I sat in the stands alone at the RAM National Circuit Finals Rodeo and took some time to reflect. I’m not going to lie… I had a lot of technical difficulties with equipment and didn’t get video interviews I had hoped for. I spent a ton of money on equipment, practiced, planned and truly thought I covered every possible scenario. But, sometimes, no matter what we do, life throws us a curve ball. In spite of all the problems I had, my time at RNCFR was a complete success because I simply CHOSE not to fail. I made connections, booked interviews for the radio show, made new friends and had the best time! Nothing is ever easy and things will always go wrong… it’s how you handle it and how you move forward that matters. How do I stay focused and in the game when everything is falling apart? It’s not easy and it’s taken many years of working through tough times, missed goals and disappointments to learn that something good can come from a tough/bad situation. I simply refuse to fail and I’m not scared to make a few mistakes along the way. Below I share how I work through these tough times and stay focused.
Here’s My Top 5 Ways to Beat Defeat
1. Give it to the Lord – The Lord said “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” (Isaiah 43:1-3, NIV)
PRAY! Take time to give your worries and stress to the Lord, he has your back. Trust in God’s strength and do not give into fear or doubt.
“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. (1 Peter 5:7 NLT)
2. Don’t Give Up – It’s so much easier to throw your hands up and give in! Do NOT do that! Dedicate yourself to being better every day. That means you have to accept that you are not at your best TODAY (there’s always room for improvement) and there will be failures. Tomorrow will be better. Just because we fail doesn’t make us a failure!! Everyone that has earned success, earned it through failure. They had to fall down at some point to get to the top. What sets them apart is that they didn’t give up. They failed FORWARD and pushed FORWARD! You have to be willing to look like an idiot, to work hard, to change, to be different, to sleep less, to study and to challenge yourself. And guess what… even the people at the top, have bad days. They most likely have a new dream and they’re failing their way to the next destination. Life is abut living. Find what excites you and do NOT give up until you achieve it. Fail FORWARD!
3. Look for the silver lining – Sometimes things are so tough it’s hard to see the silver lining but it’s there. In this example, I didn’t get the video interviews I planned on for months but I still met amazing women and made connections. These women are either schedule as a guest on the show or we’ve made arrangements to connect in another way. I was determined to make connections no matter what. My job is to shine the light on Women In Rodeo… I WILL make it happen. Did I get upset? Of course I did. Then I worked through these 5 steps and picked myself back up.
4. Get Focused – Take some time for yourself. Whether it’s reading your bible, taking a bubble bath, ride your horse, run, walk, or do some yoga. I NEED alone time. I read my devotional in the mornings and take a long bath in the evenings. NO CELL PHONES! We all need time to clear our heads. This is one of my biggest suggestions to all my girlfriends!
5. Learn from your mistakes – I listed this one last because I think you should spend the least amount of time on this step. Anytime we make a mistake I think it’s important to reflect and think about how you can do it better next time but do not become obsessed with it. You can let this become a negative moment if you’re not careful. It might be a good idea to ask a friend if they see a way you could make a change for the better. BUT, be careful who you ask! Make sure you ask someone that fully supports your goal and understands what you are trying to accomplish. No Negative Nelly’s here!!
Take these tips and apply them next time you miss a goal or have a tough day. God didn’t promise us a lifetime of blue skies and rainbows. There will be rainy days but as the saying goes… “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.”